Thursday 14 February 2019

London: Day Two


Day Two in the Big Smoke saw us navigate the ‘continental breakfast’ at the hotel which included fries……


We / I had decided that I wanted to go to the London Wildfowl and Wetland Trust site near Hammersmith. David has been before, and we are members of the WWT so get free entry to their sites. We got the tube across LDN and then a bus across Hammersmith Bridge – I have driven across this bridge with Kyle and I love it. Such an impressive structure!


Sir Peter Scott and Swan

It rained

There are no flamingos at this WWT site (there are LOADS at Slimbridge which is why we keep going) but we had a nice walk round dropping into the hides and having a shufti. We saw lots of herons and cormorants, geeses and ducks, otters!!, and David jokily tried to stroke a pigeon but the stupid thing didn’t move, so he actually managed to brush it with his hand.

Grumpy heron waiting for otter feeding time

They also have a Wild Walk (it is probably / possibly aimed at children, which meant me and David definitely had to have a go). Stepping stones, balancing logs and rope bridges across the water! It was slippery but great fun.


Following my Saturday afternoon bath I had to top up with bubble bath, and I once again sent David some beautiful, romantic, gorgeous, truly amazing selfies while I was in the bath on Sunday…


Honestly I don’t know why he’s still interested. It definitely isn’t the selfies keeping him here.

The plan for Sunday evening was to meet up with a friend from school, but when we (finally) found a route through all the roadworks and building sites on Canary Wharf, we discovered that the ‘Spoons kitchen was shut, so David and I wandered around before deciding to go for pizza. I had a funny tummy so we didn’t meet my friend (which means I need to plan another jaunt to LDN), but the pizza was pretty swell. So was my tummy afterwards.


As we meandered our way back to the hotel we discovered………… more fossils! Canary Wharf is FULL of geology. The building stones are amazing – lots of granites and gneisses and marbley types. This particular stone I think is unpolished Jura Marble, full of fossils including these belemnites. David also took time to pose with every statue we found.

Belemnite 


An early night – we walked over 20,000 steps on day two! – so we retreated to bed with Dantes Peak on the tellybox.

Infinity mirrors in the lifts. Lots of fun.