Thursday 28 February 2019

Crochet Blanket Inspiration: Roundup


I think I’ve blogged all of my blankets now! I have so many ideas for more but I really need to finish the ones I’ve got left first (manic laughter, who does that, right??!!). I wanted in on the crochet blanket stash on Instagram a while ago so I posted this pic:

Top - Down:
Temperature Blanket, Cosmic CAL, Random Stripe Blanket, Giant Granny Square, Ombré Blanket, Drop in the Pond, Mega Chunky Blanket.

No this is not all of the blankets!!

I had great fun (not) trying to get downstairs with an armful of blankets and then arranging them on the chair. It was quite nice seeing them all together in a pile and to admire the colours. All of them are made with Stylecraft Special DK, except the mitred granny square which is made with scraps, so it is mostly SSDK but has other offcuts too.

I want to make a blanket with muted, heritage tones – I’m thinking dusty, pale, pastel type colours. Stone, Pistachio, Lincoln, Sage, Denim, Bluebell, Pomegranate, Vintage Peach, Mushroom….. Ooooooooh I need a trip to the yarn shop with a colourwheel to plan!

I truly love making blankets. They take a lot of time (I am slow with blankets (hook slow, die cold)), and are sometimes very  stressful and complicated and I feel like I am not relaxing whilst I make them as I focus so hard and if I crochet when tired, I end up frogging a lot. 

The finished product though – amazing. Every time, I am amazed at myself. Warm, comforting, cosy, squishy, colourful, memory-inducing blankets. Handmade with love, determination and care, as well as frustration and maybe some cat hair. Making blankets has developed my crochet skills and expanded my stitch knowledge. It has encouraged me to try new things, to plan colours, to nail bullion and catherine wheel stitch, and it has also has made me realise that I can do whatever I put my mind to. As long as I have a pattern.