Monday 3 December 2018

Allotment Life: November 2018


I feel like I haven’t done much up the ‘plot this past month. It was my last week at work and the weather wasn’t great, so I haven’t done as much as I’d planned for the month.

I had a donation of bricks from a friend and I invested in some new tarps, so I now have five veg beds covered over, one flower bed covered, and one flower bed replanted but left uncovered. I have planted two onion sets (one red and one white) and covered them over with fleece to keep them cosy warm ready for spring. I have nearly finished digging out a mound of soil and used it to raise ground level in other beds, and I have discovered my first ever homegrown quince, on a plant we grew from seed!

Plot 31 looks very different compared to a month ago; read here! The bed at the bottom right is my mint patch - it isn't worth growing anything else there as it floods so badly. I need to dig out and sort that, too....

Ok so having written it down it does look like I did loads last month…

Next on my list is digging out an old wasps nest and using the soil from that mound to raise the ground level in my herb bed, which also needs digging out and replanting, so these two jobs must be done in tandem. I have more herbs to plant (rosemary, thyme and chives), and I have three packs of daffodil bulbs to put in too. The red-tailed bumbles couldn’t get enough of the chives this year so I am going to plant them more spread out across the bed instead of in a central clump.

After that I want to build (read: get David to build) an archway over my central path between two beds. This will make a decorative feature but it will also give me somewhere permanent to grow climbing crops every year – beans, peas, nasturtiums, sweet peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, and whatever else I fancy. I picture it to be very simple – a few lengths of 2x2 timber with bracing beams, and some 25mm square gardeners mesh stapled on so things can grow up it.

The sad, sunken, overgrown herb bed.

I have three more beds in need of turning, weeding & covering, and then I need to dig out the quince, build up the soil level & improve drainage, then replant the quince. I need to go and buy some compost, poop (haven't decided between horse or chicken yet), and gravel to build up the level, so this may have to wait...!

I also want to dig out the bulbs around my apple tree to replant somewhere else, and also attempt to straighten my apple tree as it is nearly horizontal.

We had a suspected shed break in this month. On first inspection nothing had been taken but I removed half of my tools just incase people came back. On second inspection my folding pruning saw is missing, which is incredibly annoying as it is very useful for pruning and coppicing!

Improved shed security ft half a slab and three bricks.

Next year I want a blueberry bush and a picnic bench, and a larger patio area around the shed and in front of the compost bins…. Enough to keep both David and myself busy for a while J

Sprahts!