Monday 24 December 2018

Crochet Blanket Inspiration; Ombre Stripe


Sometimes a simple blanket colour scheme can be an effective way to make something unique. This particular blanket, I made when I was signed off work sick a few years ago. I was also away on holiday (had the holiday booked before I was signed off, went on holiday anyway). This blanket was born from a need to do something constructive but mind numbingly simple, and to keep my brain and hands occupied to help reduce my anxiety levels.

It is now referred to as my ‘anxiety blanket’ and despite each and every row having the same number of stitches – I have counted and recounted numerous times to make sure – there is an 8” difference in width at the top and the bottom. Why? Because I was so tense and anxious when I started, that my stitch tension was a lot tighter. Towards the end as I was recovering and was less ill, my normal tension returned and my stitches are a lot looser and relaxed.


I chose a simple colour range to fade in and out of white to orange and back again. The people I was on holiday with didn’t think it’d look very good, or agree with my colour choices, but I stuck with it and at the end it actually looks very effective. I decided not to do a border on this as I didn’t want to neaten it up. It is a product of me being ill and a story charting my recovery. Mental illness does not have neat and tidy edges, so nor does my blanket.

I used Stylecraft Special DK in white, shades of yellow, and spice.

My holiday you ask? I was away on the Isle of Arran in Scotland for a week, and I remember spending most of my time on a sofa, in the sun, watching the Firth of Clyde, doing crochet, and having naps whenever I wanted. During the week we saw an otter, seals, dolphins, and a basking shark. I also saw a fireball in the sky (no one else did though…)








There are worse places to be when you're off work with a bad brain.

Read about my other blankets too!