Friday 7 December 2018

Life Changes: the big one.


From about September 2016 I tried to increase my subtle hint dropping to a guy who I fancied a bit of. It turned up a notch during October when I discovered it was his birthday, and then during November I really laid it on thick. In December he finally got the hint and we had a little christmas kiss, and since then he has become my all and my everything.

In the subsequent (almost) two years, we have been on several adventures. He has started to learn about geology because that’s what I base my holidays on (aka he has no choice) and he has put up with (and continues to!) my weirdness, my moods, my silly mentally ill brain and my night psychosis, and that fact that I need snacks and attention All The Time.

I have learnt that a vegetarian diet does not suit him or his butt, and I need to be careful about using kidney beans in meals. I have learnt a lot about airsoft but I will never understand it. I have learnt that everything I knew and thought about men was wrongo – it was just always the wrong man.

So here we are, nearly two years later. He is officially the longest relationship I’ve ever had, and he is also the nicest, kindest, most supportive, loving, and genuine man I think I’ve ever met. He continues to inspire and encourage me, and I hope I do the same for him.

When we were away for our joint birthday getaway this year, on the last day after a beautiful walk in the autumn sun along the beach at Southwold, this man asked me to marry him.

I said, “get up off the f*****g floor”.

And now I have become someone who wears jewellery (I never wear (wore) jewellery). I wear it as a constant reminder that I love him, and he loves me. A reminder that I have someone to help and support me when I need it, and someone who won’t treat me like shit and desert me. A reminder that he is My David, really really, forever and ever.