Sunday 16 December 2018

Learning to Drive


This year I’ve been thinking about what I can do to boost my practical skills and thus enhance my CV, in search for that fabled thing; the full time permanent conservation role. I decided that the best thing for me to do this year is gain my full car + trailer entitlement for my driving licence, so I started looking at lessons and the test. I booked in some sessions for while I am unemployed.

This week I have had my lessons and a test. I have been such an anxious wreck. I have stressed myself out SO much, and I don’t know why. I have driven with a trailer and a water bowser trailer before, I have had brief trailer lessons for work duties, so I know I can drive, I know I can reverse, I know I can manoeuvre; I know I can do it.

This week I have been a stressed mess. On the morning of my test I was sick, and after I had a practice run I then proceeded to burst into tears in front of the test centre manager. I hate my brain and I hate that I let it run (ruin) my life so much.

I failed my test.

So although I am not surprised at failing (my brain is all over the place at the moment), I am annoyed and frustrated with myself. I am not good at failing. I am trying to justify it – I don’t have much road experience with a trailer (true), or I’ve never done it before (half true) – so I am bummed out. It has cost me over £700 for lessons, and is now going to cost another £300 for another test.

Why is attempting to better yourself so expensive?! So with the new year comes a new job, with hopefully a bit of spare income (what!), so I can save up and get some practice in the meantime, and try again next year.

Onwards and upwards.

Maybe.

I saw these bulbs pushing through when I had a driving break on a lesson. Spring is coming!