Sunday 21 March 2021

Farewell, Plot 31.

In memoriam 2009 – 2021. Or in compostiam, whichever.

I have been an allotmenteer since August 2009. At one point in time I briefly had two allotments. I also helped Momma Pat start her new allotment, and now I have a new one myself. So in 11.5yrs, I have sort of tended four plots on the same site, which isn’t bad going. Let's also not forget the three I run for work, too. 

I am not sad to see the back of P31 to be honest. Last year when we moved to Halesowen I was contemplating moving to a whole new site but then the world went to shit so I stayed where I was. It is further to go to get there and takes a bit more forward planning, but I am glad I kept my plot.

So now I am on P16, on the top road, nearly opposite Momma Pat.

In three weeks we have done LOADS. Absolutely bloomin’ LOADS.

Today Momma P and I have:

·       Painted the compost bins

·       Started the heap (with a manky sacrificial banana)

·       Planted bulbs & quince bushes along the one side and the back of the compost

·       Planted lemon balm by the three front legs of the compost bins

·       Arranged, staked, tilled, lined (with card) and filled four raised beds

·       Covered three with timber to stop the fox digging out all the dirt

·       Planted garlic in one so all the garlic is now planted

·       Stuck some red dogwood cuttings in the woodlandy bit behind the bamboo in the hope that they will take root

·       Put the bird feeder back up and topped up the feeders


I am back to full time hours now, but next weekend I plan to:

·       Start sowing salad seeds in one of the new beds

·       Sow parsnip and carrots in the deep double layer bed

·       Maybe plant an apple tree as I get paid on Friday so I can nip to B&Q in the morn

·       Maybe also maybe accidently purchase some mix n match herbs (I think they’re 4 for £11)

·       Second coat of paint on the compost bins

·       If Momma P can get fruit bushes from the poundland, I may well just plant them too

·       Plant more bulbs along the boundary edge of the plot. I’ve got loads to go in and I don’t really want them in the veg beds, and it’ll look nicer to mark the edge of the plot rather than using green twine that you can’t see until you trip over it

·       Plan where I am going to put the brassicas

·       Take apart the big brassica frame so I can rebuild it smaller. 6ft x 6ft is far too big.


P31 has already been re-let, officially from April 1st but the new tenants were on it today, digging it over. I hope they keep the pond.






Two beds of garlic, and the almond tree in the background



Sacrificial nana

A wee chaffinch!!!!

Solitary bee holes drilled into the wood of the compost bin. I did more at the other end, and I have also put up a bee house on one of the corners. The other bee houses will be going up on the side of the shed. When I get the shed.

I like this picture because you can see all the plots together! P16 is to the top left, you can just see my polytunnel through the trees. P4 is Mommas plot and it is directly in line with P31 - the arrow is pointing to her shed.