Saturday 7 November 2020

Lockdown Diaries: Day 03

Today I have had a busy day at home. Doing some laundry, doing some gardening, playing some computer games, doing some exercise.

In the garden I have swept the slabs, topped up a raised bed with cardboard and fresh compost, planted some of my toilet roll winter peas in it, then sown winter veg seeds in the planter too (second type of pea, lettuce, spring onion, and corn salad). I also planted tulip bulbs in a wicker planter and did crocus and anemone in a smaller basket and they’re now both out the front. I need to clear old sunflowers and stuff but mostly cannot be bothered. The robin has been down all afternoon, picking up whatever it can find now that I have swept. Most of the leaves went onto the shrub border but some went out the back gate into the woodland. I have also potted up some fuchsia cuttings that I acquired from my Selly Oak work site.

The bulbs I planted out the front (ages ago) are starting to emerge too. Too early.

I finished reading Raymond Blanc last night – The Lost Orchard. Very informative, not what I was expecting, but I have enjoyed learning about lots of types of fruit and now I dream of my very own massive orchard with a team of Raymond Blancs to maintain it, cook for me, and talk to me in French. *swoons in French*

I am now starting to read Into The Tangled Bank by Lev Parikian. Another Twitter suggestion.

I have had the back doors flung wide open today with the upstairs windows too! Fresh air I do love it.

Exercise today: gardening, lugging a bag of compost around, sweeping the back garden, 20 mins exercise bike, 10 mins hula, bean weights. 3 loads of washing up (it counts).

Harold the Hoppity Bug (who I have not mentioned on here before) reappeared last night!! Missing half an antennae. We have no idea where he’s been, but he got put out in the garden last night. I do feel terribly guilty but we are not allowed pets, and I don’t really fancy having a grass hopper in the kitchen, even if it was eating all the fungus gnats. The robin has probably eaten him by now.

Tonights dinner is stir fry using up lots of fridge veg including cabbage, onion, spring onion, garlic, carrot, courgette, radish. I have forgotten the mushroom – I’ll go and do that now…