Saturday 21 November 2020

Lockdown Diaries: Day 17

Today I had tree training via Zoom. It wasn’t the best session but I don’t think the virtual ones are a patch on in-person sessions. Being around the other tree wardens was a lot of fun but it's so different now.

After tree training I went to the allotment. I took delivery of 150 fat balls yesterday so I had to take them up. All 13.9kg of them. Quite heavy, but the birds were pleased.

My polytunnel aubergines were going to be composted today but they are attempting a second flush of flowers and I felt guilty, so I left them. The staples seem to be holding to keep the cover down. None of the seeds I sowed are coming up yet but something has gotten under the netting and pulled up some of the garlic so I need to go back and plant them again. Some of the allotment teasels are doing their viviparous germination thing again – the seeds are germinating whilst still in the mother seed head.

My new fence hanger plant pots arrived just before I went out, so I have planted them up like the rest with snowdrops and crocus. I just need D to drill me some drainage holes in them, and then they can be hung up on the back fence. The bulbs I planted out the front at the bottom of the roses are coming up too.

One of my chips that I ate last night with my curry was so big I took a photo of it.

I put up some solar lights when I got home. They are white but look blue. I only put them up this afternoon so I didn’t think they’d work as they need sunlight, but they have! I don’t think they’re bright enough to see the door lock though, but who cares, they’re pretty.

Exercise today: carrying 13.9kg of lard around the allotment.

Today I watched Notting Hill on Netflix and did another row on my blanket. Only one row to go and then I’ve finished part 16!

We had two blankets on the bed last night. The good thing about making blankets is that there's LOADS to choose from.