Sunday 31 January 2021

Lockdown v3: Day 27

Aka Laura-fails-to-make-batter-puddings day. WHY ARE THEY SO HARD. Aunt Bessies to the rescue!

This morning I did some pyjama gardening. I have put wooden stakes in at the bottom of each leg on the arch and cable tied them on to give it a bit of support. I then tied some pieces of plastic mesh over the arch so that when I do grow things up it, they’ll be able to clamber and entwine. The mesh has large holes and poses no danger to birdies.

I have also done a large ceramic pot with gladioli corms as they were starting to sprout in the bag, so I have put loads in a pot, and put a deep layer of grit over the top to hopefully act as a bit of insulation. The paperwhite narcissus that I treated myself to before christmas are finally starting to show – I accidently knocked the pot over the other day but saw a green shoot, so covered them over again. There’s only five bulbs in the pot but there is a shoot emerging! So dramatic. It’s by my finger tip in the pic. Look how good it is!

The M&S daffs in their pint glasses have started to open today and I love them already. It’s also all very symmetrical on the mantel, which was all 100% fully planned. Can’t have a wonky mantel.

There are signs of life in the garden. The first snowdrop has opened under the acer (I planted loads under the acer as I wanted a carpet of snowdrops). Can I get a good, non-blurry photo of it? Can I fuck. The clematis has new growth at almost every node. The mint is putting out new growth so I cut back the stalks.

I took the lids off the plant greenhouse boxes today to let the plants breathe a bit.

Exercise today: niet. I have been dealing with a dodgy shoulder for a few weeks now – I had a knot and it just doesn’t want to go, but the past couple of days it has been really sore and I can’t turn my head all the way to the left. There’s no way to get comfortable, but I had decided it was my bodies way of saying ‘no more push ups!!’ and who am I to argue. Tomorrow I shall start doing some gentle stretches to try and ease it out.

Dinner today: big fat roasty. TWO ATTEMPTS AT PUDDINGS and I failed both times. People – tell me your secrets!! I did the hot oven, hot oil, cold batter from the fridge etc etc. Both batches were raw on the inside. I have had to ventilate the kitchen twice today due to smoke. Always keep a bag of Aunt Bessies in the freezer, kids.

I made a January collage, primarily for instagram but I am posting it on here too.