Thursday 18 February 2021

Lockdown v3: Day 45

GARDNIN.

A colourful day today! I have been working away on Davids socks – one is nearly done, so I need to get cracking with the other, and then do the heels. They will probably be done by tomorrow.

The living room plant that I have been purposely neglecting was about to fall over because it was so dry so today I potted it up into fresh compost, a bigger post, and topped it off with brown parcel paper and then a thick layer of grit. I have to be really, really, really scant with the watering of the houseplants to try and avoid a return of the fungus gnats. I thought the parcel paper might make it harder for them to find the compost since the grit doesn’t seem to work. The plant still looks wonky so I have tied the stems with some twine to keep them upright.

We had to go to a shop to buy stuff for work and well, flowers fell into the basket. Not sure how that happened. I now have some coloured primrose things, a new hellebore, some white daffs, and some white muscari. Also a foxglove which is in the kitchen to grow more for a couple of months before I plant it out.

The little basket out the front that is always waterlogged – I checked it. Good job I did. Full of crocus that were trying to grow but were just rotting. The compost was absolutely sodden. Smelt like a sewer, too. So a good job I sorted it. I have now planted the new daffs and the rotten crocus in a metal bowl thing (that was with the yellow fire bucket that now houses the gladioli). The daffs aren’t deep enough but it’ll do for now, and I’ll plant them in the garden later in the year.

The planters out the front are SO VIBRANT I love them. All the tulips are growing well, the square planter has some crocus, some bulbs coming, the mint is growing again, and the herbs are looking healthy. The other planter has lots of bulbs, and the snap dragons have refused to die so they should flower again too. I have also planted lambs ear in case we do suddenly get some rogue wool carder bees (not likely).

David has made his latest lego today, a pick up truck with two quad bikes. If anyone finds the kayak one for sale please let me know!!

Exercise today: none.

Dinner today: jacket potato with a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge side salad. Huge. I think one spinach leaf took up half of the plate.

Lots of pictures today!

Socks - ribbed on the inside for his pleasure.